Creativity is a valuable asset that can be enhanced or hindered by our habits and mindset. Here are some common ways people may be sabotaging their own creativity:
- Putting off stuff: Putting off creative tasks until the last minute can lead to stress and lack of inspiration.
- If you want to get ahead or work on your goals, either get up early or stay up late, like i’m doing right now.
- Fear of failure: Being afraid of not succeeding or being judged can hold back creativity and prevent individuals from experimenting and taking risks.
- This used to kill my productivity now I take every single shot because I know I will never get it again.
- Lack of focus: Being easily distracted by technology, social media, or other distractions can prevent individuals from fully immersing themselves in their creative work.
- Put the phone in a drawer or in another room. I can’t stress this enough. You are not increasing your productivity by having it right beside you.
- Overthinking: Overanalyzing and overthinking can lead to perfectionism and prevent individuals from creating freely and allowing their ideas to flow.
- Lack of self-care: Not taking care of oneself, such as not getting enough sleep, can lead to a lack of energy and inspiration.
- Don’t try and pull all nighters. If you’re tired, go to bed, if you can, stay awake and work but don’t try and pull a 2am even if you think you can. It will just hinder your progress the next 3 days.
- Lack of diversity: Sticking to a familiar routine or only surrounding oneself with similar people and ideas can limit creativity and stifle new perspectives.
- Don’t try and be a routine junkie. Routines are good but move around, get out once in awhile. Hang out with friends. It’s okay to have fun once in awhile, just not all the time.
- Being too critical: Being overly critical of oneself can prevent individuals from taking risks and trying new things.
- Just get it out there even if you think it’s bad.
To avoid sabotaging your own creativity, it’s important to be aware of these potential barriers and take steps to overcome them. This includes setting aside dedicated time for creative work, being open to new experiences, and taking care of oneself both physically and mentally.